Job title: State Coordinator- SRHR
Reporting: Project Lead
Location: State Health Society, Patna, Bihar
Level Of Contact With Children: 2 – Sporadic or Occasional contact with Children
The position holder shall be responsible to adhere & work within the ambit of Plan India’s Child Safeguarding & Gender Equality Policies.
Plan India is a nationally registered not for profit organisation striving to advance children’s rights and equality for girls, thus creating a lasting impact in the lives of vulnerable and excluded children and their communities. Since 1979, Plan India and its partners have improved the lives of millions of children and young people by enabling them access to protection, quality education and healthcare services, a healthy environment, livelihood opportunities and participation in decisions which affect their lives. Plan India currently works directly with communities, government, donors and other civil society members and groups in 14 states across 19,000+ communities in 5,500 villages/ slums and has touched the lives of 1.9+ million children, out of which over a million are girls.
Plan India is a member of the Plan International Federation, an independent development and humanitarian organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. Plan International is actively working in more than 70 countries.
The Position will be responsible to support the Family Planning Unit of Bihar State Health Society, to strengthen the FP programme in the State to improve the availability and quality of the FP services. The position will be responsible to provide technical support for the implementation, monitoring and quality ensuring of the national flagship programme on Family Planning.
Bihar is one of the eight socioeconomically backward states in the country referred as the Empowered Action Group (EAG) states. State lags behind the country on most of the socio-economic and health related indicators. Difficult geographical terrain further compounds the development challenges. As per Census 2011, the population of Bihar is 104.1 million. The decadal population growth rate has decreased from 28.43% in 2001 to 25.42% in 2011. State has the highest TFR in the country which is 3.0 as per NFHS-5. TFR has reduced from 3.2 in NFHS-4 to 3.0 in NFHS-5. However, there are huge inter district variations, and 37 out of 38 districts in Bihar was taken under Mission Parivar Vikash as they have the fertility rate more than 3. According to the NFHS-5, the total unmet need is 13.6 % while unmet need for spacing methods is 6.1%. In terms of utilization of family planning services, the contraceptive method mix in the state is in favour of limiting or terminal methods. According to NFHS-5, the prevalence of any modern FP method is 44.4%. The female sterilization is predominant method with 34.8%.
In Bihar, the State Health Society Bihar has established a Family Planning Unit to strengthen the FP programme in the State to improve the availability and quality of the FP services. In order to strengthen the planning & monitoring of the FP services in the State and facilitate provision of right based services, Plan India with support from UNFPA is providing technical and managerial support to the SHSB. As part of our technical support for Family Planning, the post of the State Coordinator – SRHR supported by UNFPA through Plan India will be based at the State FP Unit at State Health Society Bihar. The State Coordinator – SRHR would provide support in co-ordination with the officials of the FP division in developing a State FP plan to strengthen the provision of right based FP services. The detailed roles and responsibilities are as below.
Location/Posting: Patna at the Family Planning unit at State health Society Bihar (SHSB)
Duration: Initial Contract will be till Dec, 2022, further extendable (Based on Donor’s project extension, performance and need)
Line Management/ Supervision: The position will be based at Family Planning unit of State Health Society (NHM), with the Nodal officer of Family Planning, The primary reporting will be to Nodal Officer (SPO), Family Planning.
The position also has second line of reporting to the State Head (UNFPA) and to Project Lead ( UNFPA grant project) for the overall delivery of the role of technical support, programme implementation, Quality Assurance and monitoring and Administrative requirements.
The positions will be responsible for providing technical and programme management support for planning, management and monitoring of Family Planning programmes in Bihar. As part of the job responsibilities, the State Coordinator – SRHR, under direction of the Nodal Officer, Family Planning, State health Society will interact with the districts, development partners, and will undertake field visits to the districts for programme planning, implementation, management and monitoring.
1. Major Tasks to be accomplished
a) Coordination and Partnership
- Establish better coordination between State Health Society Bihar with Plan international (India Chapter) and UNFPA for furthering the mandate of both the development agencies in line with the mandate of the government of Bihar.
- Support in development of need-based resource and communication material on newer methods of contraception and for promoting client friendly services
- To develop innovative approaches and guidelines for promoting use of spacing methods among young
- Support in formation of a forum of development partners led by State Health Society Bihar on FP 2030 commitments
- To assist in preparing annual PIP for Family Planning through consultative
- To assist in preparing micro plans for high priority districts with high TFR for strengthening family planning
- Prepare roadmap for establishment of the new static centres to offer regular family planning services with high quality, focusing on the needs of young people and adolescents.
- Facilitate the development of database of trained service providers for FP and safe abortions and updating the database
- Calculate training loads for various trainings to be conducted and prepare comprehensive training calendar in consultation with
- Support in strengthening the supply chain mechanism by streamlining the FPLMIS in the state.
- Field visits to districts to support in rolling out FP program and liaise with state level officials to provide feedback to state & district officials (and ensure availability of contraceptives in designated facilities and extend necessary
- Field visits to districts and blocks to ensure operationalizing / establishment of the static centres / fixed day services as per the
- Coordination with districts and ensuring the proper nomination for training for Family planning.
- Facilitate the post training follow up of the trained service providers and provide an update of the output of the service providers
- Strengthening quality assurance mechanism, ensure regular meetings of state and district QAC, orientation of DQAC members on mandatory provisions
- Assist the state office in designing and demonstrating functional convergence models for SRH services for young people
- Assistance in effective implementation of FPLMIS at different levels & monitoring the progress of roll-out of FPLMIS & providing feedback to State & District Officials
- Establish regular program review system at State, Divisional and District level and participate in these
- Participate in state level forums/meetings to update and emphasize on RH programme.
d) Quality & accessmonitoring
- To monitor quality of sterilization services and initiate actions for ensuring compliance with Supreme Court guidelines
- To monitor quality of PPIUCD services offered through delivery
- To monitor quality of the trainings especially for family planning organized at state, district and block
- Monitor if services focus on needs of young
- Monitor the uptake of reversible FP methods in the state
- Monitoring of the functioning of QACs at the state and districts to review if DQAC visits occurred as planned, and if reversible methods and consent procedures were monitored & discussed
- Facilitating in resolving the managerial and systemic issues and greater engagement of private sector in FP service
- Undertake any other related task assigned by the SHSB, UNFPA and Plan India office
- Report on quality monitoring & feedback/ mentoring:
- Facility report on facility visits incorporating (for the following):
- Compliance on Supreme Court guidelines on sterilization services
- Quality of PPIUCD and injectable services
- Availability on integrated SRH services
- Status report on FP-LMIS roll out, including action taken report for improving supply chain management system.
- Status of DQAC operationalization
- Status report on contraceptives rollout & mentoring provided if any
- Report on training completed in the FP as against planned
- Report on implementing services for youth people/integrated SRH services
Compensation and Employment:
Plan is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women candidates are encouraged to apply. Our policies and procedures reflect our commitment to child rights and child protection.
COMPENSATION & EMPLOYMENT: Plan India is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women candidates are encouraged to apply. Our policies and procedures reflect our commitment to child rights and child protection.
Please send us your updated resume along with suitability note (single Word document only) for the position of “State Coordinator – SRHR’ at email@example.com.
Last date for sending applications is 22nd May, 2022.