Thakurmunda and Saharpada Block
Thakurmunda block is located in Mayurbhanj district with Saharpada block located in the Keonjhar district. Both of the blocks are predominantly occupied by a tribal population. Out of 16 Gram Panchayats, Plan India, along with its local partner covers 8 GPs with 30,502 individuals in 57 villages. We also support 20,665 individuals in 9 GPs of 38 villages in Saharpada. All the households reveal low socio economic status and hardly have a standard income at the end of the month. They mostly depend on NTFP and agriculture.
- 30 schools have declared themselves violence free school as per National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) guideline.
- In 10 model schools (primary schools), we have promoted active learning by mobilising appropriate teaching and learning aids from different mainstream agencies and ensured a safe, sound and effective learning environment by initiating advocacy with the government.
- In science exhibition and metric melas, 1,600 children participated including 852 girls where they gained knowledge on linking science and mathematics to their real life.
- An education campaign was organised with the collaboration of district administration for creating mass awareness on education with special focus on identification and enrolment of out of school children and impact of girl's education on family and community. The campaign reached out to approximately 12,200 children and their parents. As a result, an increase in enrolment of girls has been noticed.
- 30 female community health volunteers, 59 ANMs, 187 ASHAs, 144 AWWs, supervisors and 20 male health workers were trained on mother and child health care through different capacity building programmes and committed to reduce maternal and child mortality in their respective area by coming together.
- 95 village level health check-up camps were organised in remote villages (inaccessible areas) with the objective of promoting health seeking behaviour among communities. 6,200 community members turned up for health check-ups.
- 1,314 children under the age of 2 years have been fully immunised under the Universal Immunisation Programme.
- 950 adolescents were oriented on their rights and life skill education and committed to practice the same in their day to day life to manage various odds.
- We supported 169 individual toilets cum bathroom constructions to gear up the total village sanitation campaign in two targeted villages (Sunariposhi-75, Purunapani-94) of Saharpada Block in collaboration with a local NGO and government.
- 32 WASH model schools have been promoted in the operational areas where schools have water and sanitation facilities for both girls and boys.
- 1,624 women members of 399 SHGs are now engaged in small business like poultry, grocery shops, teashops, tent house businesses, goat rearing and have been able to enhance their family income.
- 25 women SHG groups were linked to Mission Shakti and availed Rs.10,000/- each.
- 52 unemployed youths including 22 girls were equipped with vocational skills such as 4-wheeler driving, computer training and majority of them are self-reliant now.