School Wash in Kaptipada and Ghatagaon Block
Plan India has demonstrated models of hand washing and safe drinking water facilities in 17 government schools in Kaptipada Block of Mayurbhanj district and Ghatagaon Block of Keonjhar District.
The project aims to sensitise the duty bearers on the importance of WASH, promote personal hygiene among students, teachers, duty bearers and community members and access to safe drinking water which includes hardware components, i.e., construction of hand wash platform with roof and provision of terafil water filters and software components like trainings to stakeholders and Information, Education and Communication (IEC) in the form of wall writings in which 8 steps of the hand wash are displayed in the concerned schools.
- 819 girls and 817 boys from 17 schools have now access to potable drinking water and hand washing facilities. The children shared the benefits of practicing hand wash, drinking safe water, wearing clean cloths, use of latrine in schools with peers and family members during review.
- 83 girls and 91 boys were trained on different aspects of improved WASH practices and 25 Panchayati Raj members were trained on School WASH. Household level changes have been marked in drinking water, i.e., boiled water intake among Munda tribal communities. Participatory Rural Initiative (PRI) members have agreed to support the minor maintenance cost on the basis of necessity.
- 645 members from 17 SMCs, Parent Teachers Associations and Village Water Sanitation Committees were actively involved during the programme. This has resulted in raising demands from the members to the Panchayat for replication in other areas through rural development initiatives.
- Awareness raising events/meetings were conducted in the community as well as in the schools on benefit of School WASH with the participation of 273 children in 17 schools.
- 96 SMC members in 17 villages were oriented, trained and motivated on WASH aspects. The stringent efforts made by the WASH committees in the area have resulted in installation of tube wells in another five schools in project area sanctioned by the local Panchayat and toilets in 17 schools were repaired.
- 1,500 IEC materials (WASH messages) were developed and distributed to children and communities in 17 villages. In three villages, audio-visual shows were organised to raise awareness about the importance of sanitation in the community. It has been noticed that 30-40% children are also carrying water from terafil filters to their home for drinking purposes.