Plan India is implementing Child Centred Community Development (CCCD) programmes in Lunkaransar block of Bikaner and Sardar Shahar block of Churu district of Rajasthan since 1996. The Programme Unit (PU) is working in 67 villages which are spread over in 30 Panchayats. The total population of the PU area is 1,15,017 of which 47.84% are females. The child population is 61,535, which includes 29,537 girls.
- 108 CPCs (72 village level and 36 Gram Panchayat level) have been formed having members from children's groups, Anganwadi Workers (AWWs), teachers, SMCs, etc. CPCs have been oriented on protection issues and informed on Juvenile Justice Act, Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Act, Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, Prohibition of Child Marriage Act and Integrated Child Protection Scheme (ICPS).
- Provision of complaint-cum-suggestion boxes in 110 schools has helped resolve issues raised by children. 30 children's groups have drafted Child Protection Policies which is helping to protect them and support their peers.
- To educate 1,400 parents on physical, intellectual, emotional and social developmental needs of children, parent development groups have been formed.
- Over 500 mothers of the mothers groups have been trained on monitoring and for providing support to ICDS centres.
- To improve the quality of education at elementary level, Plan in partnership with SSA, started a project on Continuous Comprehensive Evaluation (CCE) in 327 government schools, which helps teachers to track the performance of each child on a continuous bases and accordingly, based upon their performance, teachers can plan for individual child. 932 teachers have been trained and supported on CCE based classroom practices. This has resulted in better learning levels and retention of approx. 23,000 students.
- 1,147 out of schools girls were enrolled in residential school campus organised by Plan. Out of these, 96% girls successfully completed 10th and 12th grade examination conducted by Rajasthan Board of Secondary Education.
- Out of 83 schools in the area, 63 have declared themselves violence free. During the year, 23 schools have declared themselves violence free.
- 51 schools have been upgraded to secondary and senior secondary level, while 11 new schools have been sanctioned.
- 3,030 pregnant women were registered of which 2,519 (83%) women received all the 4 ante-natal care check-ups. 2,097 (80%) women have received full post-natal care.
- Delivery of 2,618 babies took place of which 2,097 (80%) women delivered their children in hospitals. The remaining 20% women had their safe deliveries under supervision of skilled birth attendants.
- 19 children were referred to malnourishment treatment centres.
- 12 Gram Panchayats (cluster of 4-5 villages) were awarded Nirmal Gram status (villages with better Water and Sanitation facilities).
- 273 men and women SHGs are functional with membership of 3,087 men and women with a saving of Rs. 1,24,86,649 and borrowing within the groups was of Rs. 72,58,428.
- 782 adolescent girls after completing their vocational trainings in tailoring and beautician courses are earning between Rs. 72,000 to 1,00,000 annually. Additionally, over 400 girls and 100 boys have been trained on vocation skills and have also been supported to compete for jobs in government and private sector.
- 40 SHGs have developed Code of Conduct for the group where they have pledged their support for protection rights of children. They have pledged that group members would ensure that in their families all children are in schools, "No to Child Marriage", "No to Child Labour" and "No Violence against Children".
- 67 Bal Manch, 60 Kishori Prerna Manch and 50 Bal Club have been formulated at school level in 67 villages.
- 67 community based children's groups formed, have been strengthened during the year with 1,549 children. There are 210 active leaders of these groups, which includes 67 girls. These child leaders reach to out to approx. 14,000 children in their vicinity.
- 2,374 children have been involved in disaster response mechanism. These children have actively participated in participatory vulnerability analyses, identifying resources and probable safe places and in mock.