Health of Urban Poor
To take forward its health, nutrition, water and sanitation and convergence mandate in line with its Country Strategic Programme, Plan India is implementing the Health of the Urban Poor (HUP) project. Through this project, Plan India is extending technical support to the Government of Bihar in planning and rolling out of National Urban Health Mission (NUHM). State Health Society Bihar (SHSB) has nominated Plan HUP India as the Executive Member of the SHSB and is facilitating the government in effective planning and rolling out of NUHM.
Through this technical assistance effort for NUHM, the government has identified 15 cities across 9 commissionaires as the geography of intervention during the first phase. The cities are: Patna, Danapur, Muzaffarpur, Nalanda, Bhojpur, Rohtas, Gaya, Purnea, Katihar, Saran, Darbhanga, Saharsa, Munger, Bhagalpur and Begusarai.
The goal of the project is to improve the health status of the urban poor by adopting effective, efficient and sustainable strategic intervention approaches, along with the principles of convergence of the various development programmes. The mega goal being reduction in preventable morbidity and mortality among women and children in India and increased access to priority health and nutrition services by poor women and children in urban communities.
- Strengthen the capacity of the government, state and city administration to plan, implement and monitor urban health services as part of technical assistance.
- Expand the implementation of convergence to address health determinants among the urban poor through the departments of health, women and child development, UD and Municipal Administration.
- Share the lessons learned from HUP models and approaches beyond Empowered Action Groups states and cities as part of city demonstration.
- Serve as a platform to convene influential stakeholders around urban health issues as part of the public private partnership initiatives.
- The team has been successful in increasing the dedicated budgetary provisions on urban health interventions impacting the lives of urban poor in Bihar from 54 lakhs to 18.5 crores.
- HUP team extended support to SHSB in developing the state NUHM PIP for FY 2014 – 15 and also developed rationale for the 53 cities to be taken up under NUHM in Bihar for FY 2014 – 17 in a phased manner.
- In the capacity of the Technical Partner for NUHM in Bihar, accompanied the Secretary Health – Government of Bihar on January 24, 2014 to Ministry of Health for Family Welfare for negotiation and presentation on the NUHM PIP for FY 2013 – 14.
- Secretary Health, Govt. of Bihar asked HUP to support NUHM roll out post Government of India approvals. In regards, the team developed the rationale and Guiding Financial Instructions for NUHM implementation for the cities with Budget Allocations for FY 2013 – 14.
- HUP Bihar prepared evidence document, logic and rationale for the Mantri Parishad for the state cabinet approval for NUHM roll out.
- HUP team supported the state government in operations of the urban Primary Health Centres on PPP mode across all the 15 cities under NUHM in Phase 01.