Plan India has been implementing varied developmental programmes in 43 villages of Ghatagaon block in Keonjhar district. The block consists of 2,21,77 families with nearly 1,02,117 people. Majority of them belong to different tribes and depend on forest produce and agriculture as a primary source of living. Around 15,904 families are from very deprived socio economic backgrounds and earning Rs 1,000 to Rs 2,000 per month. Plan covers 6,219 families averaging 4.8 (30,118) members.
- We have formed 86 children's clubs, 43 adolescent clubs (Kisori Balika Mandal) and 41 youth clubs comprising of 1,212 members to monitor essential services in their communities.
- 43 CPCs have been formed and 23 child labourers were rescued from stone quarries/mines by members in coordination with the children's club representatives and women group members in the area. Besides, engagement of children in three stone quarries in Keonjhar has been completely stopped.
- 11 early girl child marriages (below 18 years) were stopped by the CPC and children's club members through proper counselling given to their parents about the ill effect of early child marriage.
- 64 mothers groups have been formed in the area to promote institutional and safe delivery.
- 335 SHGs comprising of 5,049 women and 9 SHG federations at Gram Panchayat level have been formed and they are engaged in thrift and credit.
- 20 SMCs have been formed and the members are involved in school development plan, enrolment and regularity of eligible children and drop outs and implementation of RTE in schools especially to make them violence free.
- We have facilitated in providing 374 birth certificates to the children with the support of the government.