Eco Education Project - Addressing climate change issues with involvement of children
The Eco Education project is implemented across 24 villages comprising of tribal and fishing communities in Visakhapatnam district.
- 16 eco clubs were formed with 274 children.
- 16 Environment Protection Committees have been formed.
- Modules on water, waste and climate change were developed and used in the project. They help create awareness among children and communities. Children now use the modules to discuss the same with other children in schools and communities.
- 1,750 solar lanterns distributed to children and families supporting them to continue their education during power cuts in the night especially in the tribal villages.
- The project was able to link government schemes to the communities and 336 families were sanctioned individual toilets from the government. Another major achievement is that 167 who were not using household toilets started using the same.
- Water and sanitation facilities along with rainwater harvesting structures were upgraded in 16 schools.
- 92 soak pits were constructed near hand pumps and in houses.
- 124 families started kitchen gardens in their homes through support of plants from the project.